What Personal Information We Collect and Purposes for Collection
“Personal Information” is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you or your household. When you access and use the Services, we may collect the following categories of Personal Information from or about you:
- Direct identifiers, such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, or an IP address or other online identifier. We typically collect this information directly from you or commercially available sources (such as data aggregators, public databases and other third parties) in order to communicate with you, and provide you with access to certain information on our websites.
- Commercial Information, such as products and services purchased from us. We typically collect this information directly from you in order to fulfill your transactions and provide you related customer service.
In addition to the purposes for collection listed above, we may also collect each of the above categories of Personal Information in order to provide you services and for our own internal business purposes, which include:
- Fulfilling your requests, including to register and administer your account and provide you the information, products and services that you request.
- Enhancing your experience, such as by tailoring content and advertising and remembering your preferences.
- Improving our Services, such as by improving the content, features and functionality of our Services, identifying popular features, enabling more accurate reporting, and improving the effectiveness of our marketing.
- Offering Products and Services, including the products and services of our third party vendors and service providers. As otherwise may be disclosed to you at the time of collection.
We also may collect non-identifiable information, such as the type of browser or operating system you are using. We may also de-identify your Personal Information in accordance with applicable law or create aggregate information that relates to a group of individuals. This non-identifiable, de-identified and aggregate information is not Personal Information, because it cannot be used to identify you. We may use such information for any lawful purpose.
How We Share Your Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information for the reason(s) disclosed to you at the time we collect it, with your consent, at your direction, or in the following ways:
- Within Veritas. We may share your Personal Information internally among our business units, brands, and our affiliates in order to provide you our Services, and generally to improve our product and service offerings.
- With vendors and other service providers. We may share your Personal Information with service providers who perform services for us and act at our direction. These services may include activities such as direct mailing, fulfillment services, email-campaigns, digital advertising, hosting, and other IT services. Our policy is to prohibit these service providers from using your Personal Information for purposes other than providing services to us.
- With business partners. We may share your Personal Information with our business partners in order to provide you our Services and generally to improve our product and service offerings.
- In the event of a corporate transaction. In the event we go through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy or sale of all or a portion of our assets, we may disclose your Personal Information to the party or parties of such transaction.
- To comply with our legal obligations or protect our rights. We will disclose your Personal Information when we think it is necessary to investigate or prevent actual or expected fraud, criminal activity, injury or damage to us or others or when otherwise required by statute, regulation, subpoena, court order, or other law, or if necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety or us, our employees, or others.
Cookies and Other Data Collection Technologies
- Web Beacons. A web beacon (also referred to as clear gif, pixel tag or single-pixel gif) is a transparent graphic image used in tandem with cookies that enables us to record a user’s actions. We use web beacons to count users who have visited those pages, verify system and server integrity and for similar statistical measures. We may also use pixel tags in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
You can set your Internet browser settings to stop accepting new cookies, to receive notice when you receive a new cookie, to disable existing cookies, and to omit images (which will disable pixel tags). Note that the opt-out will apply only to the browser that you are using when you elect to opt out of advertising cookies. Please note, without cookies or pixel tags, you may not be able to take full advantage of all features of our Services.
Your Choices; Interest-Based Ads
We encourage you to communicate your preferences to us about how we use your Personal Information.
- Unsubscribe from marketing. You may opt out of receiving marketing communications from us by following the instructions included in each communication or by emailing us at email@example.com. If you receive marketing communications from any of our business partners or other third parties, you must opt out with each of those parties. Note that if you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, you still may receive transactional and other administrative communications from us.
- Modify your Personal Information. You may request changes to any incorrect Personal Information that we maintain about you. Contact us at the email, address or phone number included in the Contacting Us section below to make a request. We will endeavor to comply with your request, but please understand that we may not be able to modify information about you that we have relied upon to provide services to, or that we are legally required to maintain.
We may use third-party vendors to serve advertisements on our behalf across the internet. These advertising vendors may collect (by using Data Collection Technologies) information about your visits to and interactions with our Services. In addition to the information about your visits to our Site, these vendors may also use the information about your visits to other websites to target advertisements for products and services available from us.
Your California Consumer Privacy Act Rights
If you are a resident of California, you may be entitled to the privacy rights described below under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). Please note that certain categories of Personal Information are not covered by these CCPA privacy rights, but may be protected by HIPAA and other laws that provide similar protections.
- The right to know. You have the right to request: (i) the specific pieces of Personal Information we have about you; (ii) the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you in the last 12 months; (iii) the categories of sources from which that Personal Information was collected; (iv) the categories of your Personal Information that we sold or disclosed in the last 12 months; (v) the categories of third parties to whom your Personal Information was sold or disclosed in the last 12 months; and (vi) the purpose for collecting and selling Personal Information. Generally:
- Within the preceding 12 months, Veritas has collected the categories of personal information detailed in the section titled “Personal Information We Collect and Purposes for Collection” above.
- Veritas has not sold Personal Information about any adults or minors in the preceding 12 months.
- Veritas may disclose the categories of Personal Information that we collect to third parties as described above under “How We Share Your Personal Information.” Specifically, Veritas has disclosed the following categories of Personal Information in the preceding 12 months: Internet Activity Information.
- The right to deletion. You have the right to request that we delete the Personal Information that we have collected or maintain about you. We may deny your request under certain circumstances, such as if we need to comply with our legal obligations or complete a transaction for which your Personal Information was collected. If we deny your request for deletion, we will let you know the reason why.
- The right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information. While you have the right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information, Veritas does not currently sell your Personal Information.
- The right to equal service. If you choose to exercise any of these rights, Veritas will not discriminate against you in any way. If you exercise certain rights, understand that you may be unable to use or access certain features of Veritas’ Services.
You may exercise your right to know and your right to deletion twice a year free of charge. To exercise your right to know or your right to deletion, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will take steps to verify your identity before processing your request to know or request to delete. We will not fulfill your request unless you have provided sufficient information for us to reasonably verify you are the individual about whom we collected Personal Information. If you have an account with us, we will use our existing account authentication practices to verify your identity. If you do not have an account with us, we may request additional information about you to verify your identity. We will only use the Personal Information provided in the verification process to verify your identity or authority to make a request and to track and document request responses, unless you initially provided the information for another purpose.
You may use an authorized agent to submit a request to know or a request to delete. When we verify your agent’s request, we may verify both your and your agent’s identity and request a signed document from you that authorizes your agent to make the request on your behalf. To protect your Personal Information, we reserve the right to deny a request from an agent that does not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on their behalf.
Shine the Light – Third Party Marketing: California law also gives California residents the rights to request certain information regarding our disclosure of their Personal Information to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. You may request information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes by emailing email@example.com. Please indicate “California Consumer Privacy Act Rights” in the subject or attention line of your communication.
Our Services are not intended for use by or directed to children under 18 years of age. If you are under 18 years old or otherwise have not attained the age of majority in your state of residence, you must have your parent’s or other legal representative’s permission to use the Services. If we learn that we have received any Personal Information directly from a child under age 18 without first receiving his or her parent’s verified consent, we will use that Personal Information only to respond directly to that child (or his or her parent or legal guardian) to inform the child that he or she cannot use the Services. We will then subsequently delete that child’s Personal Information
Links to Other Sites
We Protect Your Personal Information
The security of Personal Information is important to us. We use reasonable safeguards aimed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the Personal Information we collect and maintain. You should keep in mind, however, that no data transmitted over the internet is 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our Services.
Note to International Visitors